Soup is easily one of my favorite categories of foods. Tomato, potato, squash, chowders you name it, I love it. This is partly why I become so excited for colder weather, even though I consider myself a summertime kinda gal. Soups are comforting and filling, but can also be surprisingly simple and easy to make. This vegan tomato soup is no exception.
In my journey to try and recreate all my favorite recipes as vegan versions, I knew I had to try and duplicate my favorite tomato soup recipe. It’s so satisfying with a little bit of a spicy kick and pairs great with a vegan grilled cheese sandwich. What makes this recipe even better is it’s simplicity. There’s only one onion and some garlic to chop up, and eventually everything gets blended into soup consistency. You can use either a blender or I like to use my immersion blender, just be sure to be soup-er careful with your hot soup. If it flings out of that pot whilst you blend, you’re going to have some not so fun burns on your hands (and possibly the rest of your body). The vegan grilled cheese I mentioned before is made with some sourdough bread and Daiya’s Plant-Based Cheddar Style slices. I found that these melt super nicely on the stove without too much effort, and they have a great cheesey flavor that goes great with this soup. I hope you enjoy!
Vegan Tomato Soup
1/2 yellow onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 28oz cans whole tomatoes
Dash Tabasco sauce
1 bay leaf
1 tsp dried basil leaves
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1/2 cup vegetable broth
1/2 cup almond milk, unsweetened, plain
- Place onion, garlic, bay leaf, Tabasco sauce and olive oil in the bottom of a large pot and cook on medium heat until onions are translucent.
- Add tomatoes, brown sugar, basil and almond milk. Use the back of your spoon to crush the tomatoes and bring just to a boil. Lower heat and let simmer for about 10 minutes stirring frequently.
- After 10 minutes, remove the bay leaf and blend until smooth using an immersion blender. Be extra careful with this step. I usually leave the blender submerged fully in the mixture to avoid splatter.
- Once blended, add the vegetable broth and heat until warmed through.
- Serve with a vegan grilled cheese sandwich.